Our talented educator, Ms.Sapna Bhogale speaks about the importance of early childhood education and how it contributes to children’s development and learning in their formative years.
Today’s children are the founders of tomorrow’s society.
A child’s early years are the foundation for his/her future development, providing a strong base for lifelong learning and learning abilities, including cognitive and social development. That’s why understanding the need for early childhood education is very important.
Early childhood refers to the age group between 0-8 years. It includes the stages of infancy, preschool and the early primary years. The early childhood years i.e. the first 8 years of the child’s life are critical since development and growth takes place at a rapid pace.
If the child is denied an appropriate environment, it can have adverse effects on his /her development. Hence, a stimulating environment that provides the child with varied experiences is a must for his/her holistic development. Early childhood years are thus rightly known as ‘critical years for development’.
Therefore the most important objective of early childhood education is the overall growth and development of the child by ensuring ample opportunities for play, creative thinking, expression, observation, manipulation experimentation and problem-solving.
- Early childhood education leads to fewer children being placed in special education in their primary years. Early education gives them a jumpstart into learning.
- As there has been an increase in working parents, there is a great need for child care, which is taken care of in early childhood education.
- Early childhood education not only impacts the academics but also develops important social skills.
Benefits of early childhood education:
- When children are young, they are like sponges. Every new experience, every new word they learn, every behaviour they adopt, is an investment to a more fruitful future:
- Socialization: Children learn to be with people other than their family. It gives them confidence to overcome shyness and anxiety.
- Concept of Co-operation: They learn to co-operate & share things. They also learn to take turns and wait for their chance.
- Encouraging holistic development: The approach is taken to build a strong foundation for a child’s emotional, social, physical
- and mental development, which prepares them for life.
- Enthusiasm for lifelong learning: With good experience in their first school, they are enthusiastic about lifelong learning.
- Conveys the value of education through experience
- Teaches the value of respect towards others
- Teamwork: Demonstrating and instilling the importance of teamwork that can teach respect for the opinions of others, cooperation and equality. Many activities are centred around teamwork for this very reason.
Early childhood education (preschools) are so much more than playing. While the basic educational benefits of preschool are tangible, the advantages children achieve towards becoming well-rounded individuals are truly invaluable.
Please don’t let your child miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!